Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rainbow Rice in a Jar

   Hi, there.
   Summer break comes early for our family. School is already out for my four oldest children!
   It was a little chilly yesterday to go swimming like we had planned, so I decided it would be a good day to do a craft that I saw at a blog called Good To Be Crazy.  That blog will be going private soon so I will give you the instructions on how to make this craft in case you decide that your kids would like to have some fun coloring rice too. Here is a look at the finished craft:


First thing we did was put 3 cups of rice in a zip lock bag.  Then we added about 4-5 Tablespoons of water with several drops of food coloring in it.  Make sure that bag is sealed and then let the kids squish it around.  These girls are multi-taskers. They watched a movie while they squished the rice.




I forgot to warn you.  It was a messy hair day at our house yesterday.  I didn't brush the little girls' hair until right before Shane got home from work!  The only child with non-messy hair in the picture is Sarah, one of Isabel's best friends...Sarah's mom makes sure that she brushes her hair.  Hmm, maybe I should take some tips from her. 

After smushing the color into the rice, I put it into pie pans and let the rice dry a bit.


We selected some jars from my jar stash, I spray painted the lids to cover things like "Great Value" and then the girls went to town filling up the jars.  We could only find one funnel (out of a set of like 6) so we used paper to make funnels if needed for the jars with skinny necks.  I didn't get a picture of the girls doing this step.

So,here is the final product:


Tada!


PS Grandma Jeani, I know you don't care for dreadlocks.  I promise Anna does not have them. It's just a bunch of braids!  :)

The End. 

1 comment:

  1. Cute! We've done that a few times. Always a fun craft. :)

    Your kids are done with school already?! Ok... we need to get together this summer. Yes? Yes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dinner Time Anchor

Awhile back I read a question on an instagram account that I follow. It went something like this: What are the anchors that keep your fami...